Re: Vagellii board shears problem

--- On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 Lorre Smith <ls973@CSC.ALBANY.EDU> wrote:
>Were any of you able to get the Vagelli shears through "normal" size
>doorways, or do you have tricks for getting them through doors that might
>be difficult?

I do not have Vagelli shears, but we just moved our Jacques shears into our new
conservation lab last week.  I have also in the past had to move one other
Jacques shears twice (once into an old lab and then into a new space).  All of
these moves were in library settings where the doors and elevators are made for
people and books, not machinery.

I cannot answer the specifics for the Vagelli, but in general:

We removed the counterweight and blade (it is a good time to have it sharpened
since the shear is out of commission anyway).  Then we secured the blade arm so
it wouldn't move while the whole thing was being moved (and if you don't remove
the blade, this is VERY important!).  I would also suggest securing the
foot-operated clamp in the down position just to gain an extra inch or two of
clearance.  I also remove anything removable, such as back and front gauges and
the like.

All the movers I have dealt with have tipped the boardshears on end so it would
fit through normal sized doors (this made the shears 34 1/2" wide when stood on
end).  It is best to tip them so the blade is horizontal to the floor, not
perpendicular.  It always makes me nervous when they tip the shears on end, but
I've had very good luck telling the movers that, while this may be a 1000 lbs
cast iron machine, it is as delicate as a Fabrege egg.

Once the shear is tipped on its side onto a rolling cart of some kind, it is
easily supported with blocks to keep it upright.  Then it should be able to roll
through the doors.

Of course there is always the extreme of taking the whole thing apart, but I
doubt I could ever get it back into perfect working order if everything was in
pieces.  Having to readjust the blade arm is hard enough, but having to adjust
every single moving item could take forever.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Eric

 Eric Alstrom      Collections Conservator
 Dartmouth College      Hanover, NH
 603-646-1452      eric.c.alstrom@dartmouth.edu
 www.dartmouth.edu/~preserve/