Laser smudges...

I'm working on a catalog for the local community college gallery and the
volunteer who printed the pages on a color laser printer had some trouble
with smudged black marks printing on the foredge of many of the pages.

Anyone have a magical suggestion on a way to minimize or remove the marks
or, as I suspect, are they there for life?

Thanks for the help -
Roberta

Pendleton, Oregon
paper@oregontrail.net