Re: Kiwi polish (Meltonian)

One has doubts about using a commercial product not specifically made
for our craft.  Does anyone know what the pH of Meltonian is?   It is
doubtful that Meltonian woudn't have other substances which dry the
leather in time.  These are important factors when considering the life
of books compared with the life of shoes!

However, when our customers ask us for an appropriate moisturiser, we
usually suggest neatsfoot oil, for it is relatively easy to obtain, and
its use has been sanctioned by the British Library, and presumably by
the Library of Congress.

Peter Krantz
Sydney