Re: Keeping methyl cellulose

Cleanliness. Cleanliness, cleanliness.

I moved to Maine from South Carolina. In SC we had few problems but always
followed the rules that all containers were sterilized before use. These
containers and their lids were "sterilized" with a solution purchased from
the local brewing shop that was designed for use for home brewers to clean
out their equipment. These solutions contained either iodophor or trisodium
phosphate. Clean water was used to rinse and distilled water used to mix.

More importantly the batch pots were never ever left uncovered to attract
mold spores or bacteria. Paste is poured into smaller containers for the
table that are likewise covered unless being used. These table containers
are never ever poured back into the batch pots. The batch pots were always
refrigerated. We used enough that a dedicated refrigerator was kept in the
shop just for that purpose. ($75.00 at a garage sale I think and still
running 8 years later). Any time we left something uncovered, ever for a
short period it would quickly go bad. Therefore pouring into smaller
containers that could be "wasted" if contamination occurred was cost
effective.

We follow the same procedures here even though it is probably not quite as
important.

Regards

Kurt Klappenbach
Loud Creek Books & Bindery