Dunhuang Art & Culture on China's Silk Road

This may be of interest as a treasure trove of early Buddhist books, as wel=
as manuscripts of other religions along the the silk road, were discovered
in a sealed library cave at Dunhuang around 1900.  The oldest known printed
book, a copy of the Diamond Sutra, was found here.

I don't know how much of the talk will focus on the sealed library cave vs
the Dunhuang murals, but I'm sure Prof. Peng will be able to answer any
questions you might have concerning the books of the library.

Shu-Ju

------------------------------------

Dunhuang Art and Culture On China=B9s Silk Road
with Peng Jinzhang
Dunhuang Research Institute Archeologist

Thursday November 2nd 6 PM

Portland State University
East Hall, 1st Floor Conference Room (109)
632 SW Hall at Broadway & Hall

Dunhuang=B9s Mogao Grottoes was an important Buddhist site along China=B9s
ancient Silk Road.   Today, it is a center for researching and preserving
the over 400 extant temple caves containing Buddhist murals and statuary
created between the 5th to 15th centuries.

Peng Jinzhang is the head of the archeology department at the Dunhuang
Research Institute.  Recently, thanks to a grant from the Silk Road
Foundation, Professor Peng has been lecturing around the United States,
including visits to Stanford University, Princeton University, and the
University of Michigan.

Professor Peng will talk on "Dunhuang Art and Culture."  The event is free
and open to the public.

This is the first time we have posted this information.  We were not able
to confirm Professor Peng's visit to Portland until now.

Questions?  Call the Northwest China Council at 503 973-5451.

Sponsored by the Northwest China Council and PSU Institute for Asian Studie=

A complete list of upcoming programs can be found at http://nwchina.org/