Re: Dating an edition

Martha,

I dated an editor once. Is that the same thing as dating an edition?
Nyuk nyuk nyuk >Rim shot<

>   What is the convention for dating a small limited edition artist's book?
>   The original was created in 1998; the edition in 2000.  The original and
>   edition copies are virtually the same.

But serially, folks. The first printing (your 'original' in 1998) is the
first edition.

If you printed more of the *same exact book* in 2000, that is a *reprint* of
the first edition.

If you changed any part of the original, the printing in 2000 will be the
second edition.

Note, btw, on some points of copyright. If you chose to do so, you could
claim a copyright on the original (First edition (c) 1998 Martha Hall).

If you reprint the book without any changes, you do not need to change the
copyright. It will still be (c) 1998. However, if you made any changes, and
thus produced a second edition, then any new material would need to have the
copyright extended to it, and so the copyright would read something like:
"Second edition (c) 2000 Martha Hall."

Check with Chicago Manual on this. The R.R. Bowker company ( at
www.bowker.com) will also probably have a lot of information, inasmuch as
they are the clearinghouse for getting ISBN numbers assigned to
publications.