Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 29 Nov 2000 to 30 Nov 2000 (#2000-326)

In a message dated 12/1/00 12:10:13 AM, LISTSERV@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU writes:

<< Date:    Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:37:02 -0600
From:    Julie Sullivan <julie3@AIRMAIL.NET>
Subject: Artists for fair pay vs. Lawyers >>

Dear Julie:
Thank you for your letter. It has been a concern of mine as well, recently.
I have seen my posters on the Internet, being given away "FREE" with framing,
and as e-cards, "FREE with purchase of framed poster."
Not much a poor girl can do, either. I see my royalties fly off in cyberspace.

Like your husband, I've started reading my contracts with great care and
asking questions where things are not clear.  I've discovered that rights
to my own artwork can be taken from me with as few as three words.
With one company, the words "usual trade discounts" meant that they
offered customers 90% OFF list price!
Recently, I also have found that by refusing to sign
contracts which give publishers the "e-rights" to my work,
they have been willing to remove those terms.

Enforcing copyrights to our work is becoming more and more difficult
and it's terrific that organizations such as the Graphic Artist Guild,
which is now a member of the United Auto Workers Union, and
others are joining forces to protect artist's rights.
Thanks again.
Alice Simpson