Re: Dating an edition

Martha -

Michael's advice seems sound. Here are my additional two cents...

Since an edition consists of multiple originals, all books that were
identical would be part of the same edition.

If your first copy was a mock-up, I would date the edition with the
publication of the finished work (2000).

On the other hand, if you printed all the pieces for the edition and only
assembled one in 1998 then completed the rest of the work in 2000, I'd date
it 1998.

My personal rule of thumb is to mark the date that the first finished copy
of the edition is assembled. It can get confusing, as a fairly finished
mock-up might hang around the studio for a couple years before the parts for
the edition are printed, then copies might get assembled on demand over the
course of another couple of years.

Being a fairly impatient and "learn on the job" kind of gal, sometimes the
first 'mock-up' differs only slightly from the other work. In that case,
I'll clip the corner somewhere and stamp it as a 'display copy' and put it
in with books that I allow students to maul over. That way they can get the
gist of the work and I don't worry about damaging a numbered, saleable copy.

Roberta

Pendleton, Oregon
paper@oregontrail.net
http://www.missioncreekpress.com