Re: need info on vandercook -- moving one

In a message dated 12/1/00 8:54:44 PM, yleon@HARGRAY.COM writes:

<< Is there anything I should know before I get there as to=
 transporting it (about 150 miles interstate) such as tie-down etc.  Is it=
 possible to move one of these by truck without  crating or should I plan to=
 build a skid/crate or something  before I get there to hold it in place?=
 We're guessing it's about 1100 pounds.  >>

I have a Vandercook #4 (sorry no picture) that I have moved a number of
times. Some extension parts can be removed for transit, but it basically
shipped as one piece.
The first move was on a flat-bed dolley but it was difficult to get it up on
the dolley and secure it. Then I rented a set of Hydraulic Lift Machinery
Movers (cost new at $900 up). Before I moved to PA, I was able to buy a used
set for $300. They have proven invaluable for the various heavy items that I
have in my bindery. I have moved some of them numerous times.
A "Johnson Bar" (Lever Dolley) is another invaluable mover for some
applications.
The hydraulic movers have casters. One is strapped to each end of the machine
and the hydraulic lift elevates the machine to a comfortable height for
rolling. When the heavy machine is secured and elevated, it is a "piece of
cake" to move. It must be secured to the truck during transit.
BE CAREFUL if you are using the Lift-Gate on the truck. It may not handle the
weight. Also, the mover can shift on the gate while it is being lowered -- we
have a scary story about that.
Again, be careful. You life, or serious injury, are worth more than the cost
of the printer. Good Luck.
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695