Re: moving vandercook presses

I've moved our Vandercook #4 as well as several other presses a number of
times over the years. The first thing I suggest is to keep in mind that
proof presses are top heavy! All the weight is carried at the bed & the
cylinder, the rest is relatively light-weight skirting. I've seen presses
which were picked up in slings tip over & crash to the ground because the
folks moving them didn't consider their top-heavy nature. Instead, I would
recommend mounting the feet of the press with 2x4 skids if at all possible.
That way if you end up using a pallet jack to move the press across the
floor (which you can rent for around $50) or that swell sounding hydraulic
mover Bill mentioned (that I'll have to try next time!) or a fork lift to
get the press into the vehicle, you won't have the metal of the press skirt
sliding against the metal of the forks. I saw one press tip off the side of
a muddy incline because the fellow moving it insisted  there was no need to
go to the trouble of mounting skids to the press since he'd never had any
trouble with metal sliding against metal. Whoops. The dang thing slid clean
off the forks and right down the hill. Took a shrub or two with it.

I also use the johnson bar to lever the press up so that I can set wooden
chocks under it to bring it up high enough to slide the forks of the pallet
jack in. Lever up one end a few inches at a time, chock it up with a 2x4,
then lever the other end & chock it up & so on until the press is high
enough to slide the forks under it. You can use a stout 2x4 as your lever
but a johnson bar is preferable.

The cylinder can be rolled off the press & moved separately but I would
strongly advise against it as it is a BEAR to get back on properly. Instead,
be sure to secure the cylinder by rolling it to the furthest left position
then stuffing rags in the gears so that it won't roll while in transit. Set
the press over the axle of the truck bed for balance. Firmly lash the press
down. Squirt WD40 on any moving parts as well as the bed of the press before
it leaves. And I would recommend covering the whole thing in tarps to
protect it from weather if you're moving it in an open bed truck. Also, if
using a lift gate truck, DO keep in mind that often the gate ascends at a
slight incline. I've seen more than one press ALMOST tip off the gate. Scary
indeed! And finally, I concur with Bill Mintor, if the press starts to tip -
jump out of the way. Your body is not going to stop several hundred pounds
of metal from going over. Nor is the body of your brawny gentleman friends.
As painful as it may be, it's better to lose the press than to lose one of
your limbs or worse! My partner Chris & I have moved many presses with just
the two of us, a johnson bar, a pallet jack, a box of miscellaneous chocks
of wood & alot of patience.  The best of luck to you.

Ms. Jules Remedios Faye
Stern & Faye Printers
37607 Cape Horn Road
Sedro-Woolley, WA 98384