tape residue

Any ideas for getting dried tape residue off of a book cover?  The original
cover is the type of cloth that rebound library books have.  At some time
the spine was covered with Mystic tape, or something of that sort, because
the covers were coming off.  This tape has dried and come off leaving a
dried brownish residue.

I checked the archives and found suggestions for sticky residue but this is
all dried out.

For sentimental reasons I'd like to try to save the original cover, if it
can be cleaned, but I'm beginning to think that I may have to replace.

Mark Arend
Beaver Dam, Wisc.