Re: tape residue

solvents like naptha tend to evaporate shortly after use.
perhaps 99% alchohol would work better, but I'd sure try
whatever experiment on an old book cover you don't care
about first!
I would suggest that removing the dried on adhesive is only
the top of the problem, the bottom is how the cover beneath
might be stained by the effort.

maybe some light steaming with a teapot and then high grade
alcohol with a soft rag to remove the softened adhesive.
Watch out, as you know the solvents are extreme fire
hazards.  Maybe email the smithsonian or library of
congress....they could probably tell you what they do.
Good luck
Jim