Re: letterpress research

hi

i normally trash my bookarts messages, but i noticed this from you, by
accident. this is not a suggestion for os opportunities but for
obtaining equipment. it is around, but as you say it is EXTREMELY
scarce. it has taken me 15 years to collect my equipment, and i have
spent enough on acquiring it that i now havenowhere to use it. very sad.

so: there is some equipment available from this guy...

(bod = bodoni, gs = gill sans, oe = old english, tr = times roman, it =
italic, bd = bold, cnd = condensed. if i missed any and they are too
opaque, ask me.)

merv moore

in drawers and cabinets...
6 48 lining gothics etc
copperplate #4
8 gills and bold
8 oe
10 gill bold
10 times etc
10 graramond bold italic
12 gill sans
12 gs bold
12 tr bold
12 caps
14 tr
14tr bold
14 tr it
14 heavy script
18 perp light,
18 bod bld con
18 caslon light
18 tr caps
18 tr bold
18 open title
24 eurostyle cond
24 bod bld it
24 bod bld con 529
24 univers bld 693
24 perpetua
24 tr bd
24 tr caps
30 sans serif
30 euro cnd
36 euro
36 euro cnd
36 grmnd light
36 heavy bond cnd
adana 53/4 x 31/8 with cases and rollers quoins etc
box ink
reglets etc
lead and rules 2'
cutting creasing steel
pied type and spacing
setting sticks
misc paper etc
$50 freight?
$400

...not a bad price, i think. and from the same guy...

ludlow gear:
6 cabs, 114 fonts:
24 30 36 42 72 cent bld (incomplete?)
10 12 14 18 24 30 36 48 bod blk
12 14 bod blk it
18 bod mod it
18 24 30 36 42 bod light
8 chelt (incomplete?)
24 30 36 42 48 chelt bold cnd
30 chelt bld
30 chelt bld it
14 18 24 30 36 42 chelt bold exp
42 caslon bld con
60 caslon bld
30 36 42 48 karnak med
24 30 36 42 48 karnak med it
24 oe
10 12 typewriter (underwood)
42 48 tempo light
24 36 tempo med
6 tempo alt bld
48 60 72 tempo bld con it
6 8 10 12 14 18 24 30 36 tempo heavy
30 tem heav cnd
18 24 30 36 48 tempo heavy it
72 tempo heav cnd it
12 14 18 24 30 36 42 48 tempo blk
12 tempo blk
14 18 24 30 36 42 48 60 tempo blk cnd (7 dirty lc mats)
12 14 tempo bnlk ext
14 18 24 36 48 tempo blk it
18 24 30 36 42 48 tem blk cnd it
6 #1 lining gothic
6 sqaure gothic
6 #3 and #4 lining gothic heavy (some dirty mats)
12 #1 commerce gothic med
18 record gothic condensed
18 record goth bld med ext
18 24 record gothic bld (some dirty)
42 helv bld (caps and SOME numbers only)
48 helv bld (caps and SOME numbers only)
36 helv light (complete but high mats)
some spare draws
$1000

...and there is this...

  A Vanderckook sp 20 test press (1961), four cabinets of letterpress
type, 10
  fonts of wood type, chases, furniture etc... and a paper guillotine.

...available from a guy called john, whose address i cd track down for
you. this stuff would be worth grabbing, as the vandercook is a good
machine, and worth restoring if it's not in perfect condition. don't
reply to the list because as i say i don't read it. use my own address.

bye

nick