Re: Laser Printing

>Several methods have been proposed for testing adhesion of laser print=20
>toner to paper, but the simplest, a =93tape peel=94 test, seems to be best.=
=20
>Get a roll of 3M #230 drafting tape, preferably one inch wide, at Quill or=
=20
>almost any office supply store. Turn back a half-inch of the end of the=20
>tape, adhesive side to adhesive side, to form a handle. Tear off the piece=
=20
>of tape about 4 inches long, and smooth it onto the copy with four fingers=
=20
>of one hand. (Don=92t use your thumb or fingernails.) Pull the handle (end=
=20
>of the tape) back along the top of the remainder of the tape, making a 180=
=20
>degree peel test. If any toner is visible on the adhesive side of the=20
>tape, the copy has failed the test.
         Failure of toner to adhere is usually due to inadequate fuser=20
roller temperature or time. However, the type of paper can also be a=20
factor. "Release" paper allows almost no adherence. Indeed, one can laser=20
print on release paper, put a strip of cellophane tape on top of the=20
printing, and create an excellent label by removing all of the toner.=20
Alkaline paper, such as Hammermill copy paper, bonds tightly to the toner.=
=20
If you want toner to adhere to thick paper, you should consider a printer,=
=20
such as the Hewlett-Packard 8100, which allows you to adjust the fuser=20
roller temperature. Archival ink-jet ink bonds better to paper than does=20
letterpress ink or laser printer toner.
         If you want more info on this subject, please contact me directly.
         Here is a brief bibliography:
Jones, Norvell M. M. Archival Copies of Thermofax, and Other Unstable=20
Records. Washington, D.C. 20408. National Archives and Records=20
Administration. 1989.

Subcommittee on Preservation Photocopying Guidelines, Association for=20
Library Collections and Technical Services. =93Guidelines for Preservation=
=20
Photocopying.=94 Library Resources and Technical Services. 38(3)  p 288-292.=
=20
1994.

Subt, Sylvia S. Y. and John Koloski. Archival Xerographic Copying. Special=
=20
Development Study for the National Archives and Record Administration.=20
Washington, D.C. Government Printing Office Jacket No. 484-988. 1987.

Photocopying and Laser Printing Processes=96Their Stability and Permanence.=
=20
Dickson, Australia, ACT 2602. Custody and Preservation Section, Australian=
=20
Archives Central Office (PO Box 34). 1993.