Re: laser printing/ink bleeding

Laser toner does not fuse on "soft" papers because the the heat
ssttings  are not high enough.
I don't know if laser printers have thermostats which can be reset--that
might be something to ask a service person about.

In the meantime the only work-around is to fuse the toner to the paper
chemically--with fixative spray--

or if you are going to do a lot of this you might want to make a fuser
box.You can attatch a sheet of some thick absorbant material (Felt would
probably work) to the inside  top lid of a box (preferably a wooden or
metal one that seals well). Pour a small amount of laquer thinner on the
material. Put the print in and close the box. It should fuse in 30
seconds or so. This should be done very carefully and with good
ventilation. You really want to inhale a minimum of solvent.--or
Fixative for that matter.

You might also be able to rig some sort of oven to heatset the prints.
Perhaps a sheet of aesbestos on a hotpate. This is not as lethal, but
the trick here is to have enough heat to fuse the toner and not enough
to dry out the paper.

I have used a fuser box for years with good results. I have also used a
fuser oven--but have not made one so my instructions here are
speculative.

Joan Lyons
joanlyons@rpa.net

I have just subscribed to this booklist and I am about to unsubscribe
because I can't deal with so many messages coming in by slow modem. But
you can email me directly if you wish.