Re: Laser printing

The whole subject of paper grain is confusing enough without my having made
it worse by making contradictions in my last two posts. I should make it
clear now that all machine made paper produced by a method in which the
pulp is carried on a belt from the vat to the finished product will have
the grain in the direction of the flow: long.

Most of the paper available from retailers has been cut at the mill into
various sizes, most with the grain in the long direction. Short grain paper
has to be special ordered because it has to be cut from parent sheets and
will be more expensive because there will be more waste. Or you can cut a
larger sheet of long grain paper in half horizontally to get the short
grain sheet needed to print a book of sewn signatures.

The catalog usually indicates the grain direction of a particular paper,
and the ream wrapper may underline the grain dimension or list it first.
You can test it yourself. Look the archives for information on paper grain
in messages posted within the last two years. There's a lot there.

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all,

Betty
Betty Storz   storz@mcn.org
Mendocino, CA