Laser printing (recorrection)

>Date:    Fri, 22 Dec 2000 17:39:26 EST
>From:    DT Fletcher <FletcherOR@AOL.COM>
>Subject: Re: Laser printing (correction)
>
>In a message dated 12/22/00 7:06:17 AM Pacific Standard Time, storz@MCN.ORG
>writes:
>

>>No, D.T., 8.5"x11", long grain, folded to be sewn in the gutter puts the
>>grain in the right (SHORT) direction.
>

>It seems you missed my point. We're talking about paper being printed on a
>duplexing laser printer.To reduce curling, the use of long grain paper  is
>desirable. What happens afterwards is not at issue.  In fact, with the
>Unibind system I don't fold the paper afterward.
>
>To reiterate: Assuming that the 17" x 11" paper was short grained, cutting it
>in half results in the 8.5" x 11" paper being long grain, correct?
>
>Now, I could understand doing this from an economic standpoint, I could also
>understand doing this if all you had was 17" x 11" paper on hand, but what I
>don't understand is why it would be desirable to do this over just buying
>long grain 8.5" x 11" paper in the first place?
>DT Fletcher
>Date:    Fri, 22 Dec 2000 18:15:37 EST
>From:    Leslie Cefali <LJCefali@AOL.COM>
>Subject: Re: Laser printing (correction)
>
>In a message dated 12/22/00 4:40:39 PM, FletcherOR@AOL.COM writes:
>
><< why it would be desirable to do this over just buying
>long grain 8.5" x 11" paper in the first place? >>
>
>Where can one get long grain 8.5x11 paper? I have checked several sources and
>have only been able to find short grain. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>Thanks
>ljc

The standard cut sheet sizes of paper all have the grain running the long
way of the sheet. This is true of 8.5 x 11, 8.5 x 14, 11x17, and 17x22. If
you do not specify, all four of these sizes are shipped with long grain.
The first three sizes would require a special order to buy them cut with
the grain running the short way of the sheet (short grain). However, you
can easily change 11x17 long grain into 8.5x11 short grain by cutting the
larger sheets in half. Cutting 17 x 22 long grain into quarters would
produce 8.5 x 11 long grain, because each time you cut a sheet in half,
with the cut perpendicular to the grain, you change the direction of its grain.

If you are printing a book two up and folding it, you want the grain to be
parallel to the fold, and hence parallel to the spine of the book in part
because paper folds more easily along the grain. However, if you are
printing a book two up and cutting the sheets in half to make a perfect
bind or a mechanical bind, you still want the grain to be parallel to the
spine, so you want to print it on short grain paper. The major reason in
both cases is that the pages open more easily if the grain is parallel to
the spine.

The amount of curl which you get in laser printing is dependent more on the
type of paper you are using than on whether the sheet is fed with the grain
perpendicular to or parallel to the fusing roller. Most printers which
accept  paper as large as 11 x 17" will allow you to feed letter-size
sheets in either landscape or portrait mode. Try each direction, while
printing duplex, and see which gives you the least curl and the least paper
jamming. Also try different brands and types of paper to see which give you
the best results. Don't judge the curl immediately after printing. Let the
paper rest and re-acquire humidity for at least 24 hours. Much of the curl
will disappear. Curl is caused mostly by paper losing more humidity from
one side than the other as it passes the fuser roller. Duplexing tends to
equalize the loss of humidity from both sides of the sheet. Time restores
humidity to both sides of the sheet.
Rupert