THE BOOK & THE BODY: Book Arts Workshop in Tuscany, June 2001

THE BOOK & THE BODY

This June we are planning a 6 day workshop at a beautiful inn in
the Tuscan countryside. The workshop will be on making books by
hand, exploring several different book structures, including
coptic, Italian long-stitch, Japanese, and other non-adhesive
structures. We will make paste-papers, a decorative paper for
covering boards, and learn other methods for making pattern on
paper. As part of our work with the book form we will investigate
content, using collage with found material, and do some writing.

Included in this workshop will be yoga sessions each morning and
afternoon, with the intention of instilling a restorative and
invigorated atmosphere to the workshop. It is our experience that
craft is a whole body experience, and the craft of yoga is intended
to balance the craft of making books.

No experience in either making books or yoga is required or
necessary to participate in this workshop. Both aspects of the
workshop will be geared toward allowing the novice and experienced
alike to learn new approaches to yoga and the book form.

The landscape of Tuscany will serve as our primary inspiration, you
almost need nothing more. But, of course, a large part of the
Italian experience is food and we will be savoring many of the
local Tuscan specialties, prepared by a master chef and cooking
instructor in residence at the inn.

The book workshop will be taught by Ken Botnick who has been making
books of all types for 22 years. Ken's work is in collections
around the world. He is associate professor of art at Washington
University where he directs the Kranzberg Studio for the
Illustrated Book. Ken's belief in the power of craft and its
transformative role in a person's creative life is the fuel for his
teaching.

Natalie Morales brings 20 years of experience to her yoga teaching.
Her approach is non-dogmatic, and her classes are energizing and
restorative. She teaches at the Big Bend Yoga Center in St Louis.

The workshop will run 6 days with two sessions to choose from; June
10-15 or 17-22.  Students will be in residence at the inn and will
share meals in the large dining room. The cost of the workshop,
inclusive of room, board, and materials for the book structures is
$2200, without air fare. We will meet in Florence and travel the
short trip together northwest to the inn.

For information call Tyler Stallings at 314.647.1232 or

email Ken Botnick at KBotnick@art.wustl.edu

Ken Botnick
314.968.5060 voice
314.918.0976 fax