Re: Drill bits for paper

Ed,

I frequently must drill very small holes along the left edge, and I do it with
a drill press or a dremel tool, using a #56 wire bit (see a specialty tool
shop for these--your neighborhood hardware or WareMart won't have them).  The
bits are not expensive--less than $2 each here and they last a good while.

Cut two pieces of binders board(#25 works fine) the length of the book block
to be drilled. Place a piece of board on each side of the block, knock it up
to square, and lay it flat on a benchtop with the edge even or extending out
just a bit beyong the table.  Lightly weight the top with a pressboard and
brick.  Spread a thin layer of pva along the margin, gluing the pages and
boards together.  When dry (just 5-10 minutes), mark the hole positions with
straight edge and pencil for drilling.  The glue plus the binders board holds
everything fairly rigid, so that the drill will enter and exit cleanly, but
you must hold it securely while drilling.  If the post of leaves is not too
thick (say less than 5/8-inch), the holes should be very straight.  Thicker
posts may show some irregularity of the alignment, but for my purposes it
isn't a problem--they are covered after sewing.  The boards are easily lifted
away from the block, as the glue layer is thin and usually does not penetrate
under the cardboard.

Hope this helps some.

Carol
Eugene, OR