Re: art and relationships

--------------6010B0861BAE8EC7D14A4AD7

My feeling is that an artist cannot be happy except alone (and working on art)
or with another artist (and working on art). Then neither is jealous of or
baffled by the other's need to create and explore the weird realms of creativity
where artists spend their time. Of course you need to feel connected to each
other's aesthetic and interests, so not just any artist will do. Also your art
may suffer while you're adjusting to a new relationship, but it will recover as
long as you keep working. For dang sure you can't be happy as long as you're
letting anyone (including yourself) take energy away from your art.
    One need not be miserable alone, though, especially if one has one's art.
And perhaps a good, huggable dog or cat. Usually the best place to find what you
need is in yourself or, failing that, in service to others. And if you do feel
misery, make art about it, with no care to what others might think. You don't
even have to show them if you don't want to. I'm also in favor of antidepressant
drugs when nothing else works.
    Good luck.
   - Rhonda

rhonda j. boothe
nothing spectacular graphics (humility at its finest)
3214 preble street
bremerton, wa  98312-4535
360 377-6661  : :  phone/fax

Visit your granny.
Granny Artemis Home Page
www.drizzle.com/~rhondaj

Jennifer Vignone wrote:

> This is a more philosophic question, then book art specific.
>
> What are your thoughts? Can an artist be in a good relationship (love
> relationship) and still produce good work as an artist. I work with
> people who say "No". This discussion has arisen several times over my
> lifetime and I ask you kind folks for your input. Are you all single,
> miserable, deprived of love, yet your work is all the better for it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Happy New Year...unless of course, the prospect of a 'happy' year
> ruins your work...well, then, you could blame me, and then I'd be
> miserable and...
>
> Jennifer

--------------6010B0861BAE8EC7D14A4AD7

My feeling is that an artist cannot be happy except alone (and working
on art) or with another artist (and working on art). Then neither is jealous
of or baffled by the other's need to create and explore the weird realms
of creativity where artists spend their time. Of course you need to feel
connected to each other's aesthetic and interests, so not just any artist
will do. Also your art may suffer while you're adjusting to a new relationship,
but it will recover as long as you keep working. For dang sure you can't
be happy as long as you're letting anyone (including yourself) take energy
away from your art.
if one has one's art. And perhaps a good, huggable dog or cat. Usually
the best place to find what you need is in yourself or, failing that, in
service to others. And if you do feel misery, make art about it, with no
care to what others might think. You don't even have to show them if you
don't want to. I'm also in favor of antidepressant drugs when nothing else
works.
my