Re: Drill bits for paper

This question involves several hardware issues.

In a commercial bindry a piece of equipment called a paper drill is used.
The head can have one to many drills. A motor will rotate these drills while
a lever lowers the drills into the paper - as per a drill press.These drills
are hollow very sharp punches which make a clean cut through a stack of
paper. The holes escape to frustrate the world around.

In my world, I have an antique paper drill which does not infact rotate.
This type of punch is limited to a quarter inch or so of thickness. This
type of drill is made up of two parts. A punch and a die.

A machine shop drill press could be used if one could find a way to mount
the die under the drill which is locked into the chuck. I have never tried
it but see no reason it would not work.

Any system which attempts to chip away the paper is unable to produce a
clean hole - a drill which is solid with the intent of reaming out a hole in
wood or metal. Any attempt to clamp paper between boards or other hard
backing will produce uneven results at best.

I hope this rambling is a help in understanding the differences inherent in
drilling paper and metal or wood.

tks

aj