Re: art & relationships

>   What are your thoughts? Can an artist be in a good relationship (love
>   >relationship) and still produce good work as an artist.

There is the notion abroad in the land that creative energy is suppressed
sexual energy. Which leads to the conclusion that the great artists were
horny devils!

Having a good relationship won't guarantee good artwork. In fact, having a
good relationships improves art as much as having a good cuisine or
cupboard or bank account.

But I believe the opposite is true. I don't mean having no relationship,
but having a *bad* relationship is detrimental, because it consumes a lot
of emotional and intellectual and vital energy, energy that could be of
benefit in other ways. (I don't mean a clever reiteration of the first
remark about sexual energy, btw.)

To put it another way, a bad relationship wears you out. Just as a meager
cupboard keeps you hungry, and that wears you out (Miro notwithstanding),
or penny pinching and working two jobs wears you out.