Re: art & relationships

>>   What are your thoughts? Can an artist be in a good relationship (love
>>   >relationship) and still produce good work as an artist.

The artists I know all produce better art (and more of it) when they're
happy. The key, in my opinion, is to find a partner who views making art as
valuable and honorable work, can discuss art at a level that is stimulating
and engaging, and who is supportive in helping you develop and maintain 'a
room of one's own'.

Unfortunately, our society isn't turning out young adults with these
qualities at great speed. Public school budgets and bad administrators
relegate making art to the rank of frivolous extra-curricular activity and
the mass media portrays most artists as eccentric lunatics (Julianne Moore
in 'The Big Lobowsky' pops to mind).

Having a good partner also makes it much easier to suffer all those *other*
people in your life who don't quite get what you do (parents, siblings,
neighbors, etc.)

Roberta
paper@oregontrail.net