Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 3 Jan 2001 to 4 Jan 2001 (#2001-5)

on 1/4/01 11:00 PM, Automatic digest processor at LISTSERV@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
wrote:

> Topics of the day:
>
> 1. Book burning
> 2. Bookbinding/Book Arts exhibit at the Syracuse University Library || Please
> Post
> 3. art and relationsips

> UNSUB Book_Arts-L
> ALL COMMANDS GO TO:
> LISTSERV@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU

> Date:    Thu, 4 Jan 2001 00:03:40 EST
> From:    Elen Freelander <Highdesertelf@AOL.COM>
> Subject: Re: Book burning
>
> I must admit to not being one of those 100 people who looked at the book
> burning right away.  In fact I erased the listing.  However, I did read the
> listing about the process, which I enjoyed tremendously -- what a piece of
> performance art!  Thank you for yet another bit of mind expansion, Richard.
>
> Elen Freelander
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Thu, 4 Jan 2001 07:05:12 -0500
> From:    "Peter D. Verheyen" <verheyen@PHILOBIBLON.COM>
> Subject: Bookbinding/Book Arts exhibit at the Syracuse University Library ||
> Please Post
>
> The Guild of Book Workers' new traveling exhibition, The Best of the Best,
> will open on January 8, 2001, in the Syracuse University Library's Department
> of Special Collections, sixth floor, E.S. Bird Library. With 33
> participants from 18 states, the juried exhibition presents 35 of the best
> works from the last part of the century. The show will close here on March
> 20, then continue to travel through early 2002.
>
> On February 15 at 4 p.m., also on the sixth floor of Bird Library, there
> will be a Library Associates lecture to complement the exhibition. Peter D.
> Verheyen, the Library's conservator, will discuss "Bookbinding: A Thriving
> Craft."
>
> The Guild of Book Workers began in 1906 with 42 members. Now there are
> eight regional chapters and more than 1,000 members, included illuminators,
> printers, binders, type designers, and book and bookplate designers.
>
> Among the jurors are two Guild members, Scott Kellar, binder/conservator;
> Audrey Niffennegger, binder/artist; and Doro Boehme, keeper of the Joan
> Flash Artist Book Collection at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
> The exhibition was organized by Barbara Lazarus Metz, exhibition chair for
> the Guild of Book Workers.
>
> The jurors selected a stunning array of work from traditional
> design-bindings to artists' books in a variety of media. These include
> bindings on published works, one-of-a-kind artist's books, and examples
> using letterpress printing and calligraphy. Various illustration techniques
> have been used, including printmaking, lithography, etching, linocut, as
> well as watercolor, photocopier collage, and inkjet prints. Among the
> formats are the traditional codex, accordion books, and some wildly unique
> structures.
>
> One of the primary goals of the Guild, since its inception, has been to
> [...]
To List Manager,

My name is Lori Brink and I am the new Marketing and PR Coordinator at the
Minnesota Center for Book Arts. I receive your daily messages and would like
to know the proper procedure for submitting events, workshop info, etc.  to
the Digest.

Thanks,
Lori Brink