Skin Costs

A question about how to charge my customers:

A customer wants a book bound in leather and I have to purchase a full skin,
but will only use half of the skin for his book. Is it customary or ethical
to charge the customer for the full skin?

I don't want to be left with a lot of skin pieces that I can't use someday.
Inventory is not something that I cannot afford.

Thanks,

Kevin