Kutrimmer Tips

Does anyone have any tricks or tips for using a Kutrimmer and getting
accurate and square cuts.

I recently purchased a brand new 1058 model and find that the ruler guide is
about 1/32" off. Everytime I cut something it seems I have to adjust for
that. I'm also not convinced that it cuts perfectly square.

This particular model has a smallish plastic back gauge instead of the
larger metal one that is on the larger models. Could this be part of my
problem?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Kevin