Designer/Commercial Bindings

I am proposing a book to a publisher that would be about either "Designer
Bindings" or "Commercial Bindings" or perhaps both.  I would define
commerical bindings as books, boxes, or portfolios commissioned by
architects, artists, agencies, or photographers.

But I do not have a clear definition of what a "Designer Binding" is. Does
anyone have any ideas?

Also, I would love to include some samples of such books with my proposal.
If anyone has any photos of either designer or commercial bindings that they
would like to share, I would love to include them. Full credit will be given
and no photos will be used in the final book without full permission. Please
send photos to me off list as either GIF or JPEG or TIF files.

I envision the book to be about binding techniques and to also include a
larger-than-usual "Gallery" section to show off work by other binders.

Thanks,

Kevin Thomas
kevinthomas33@hotmail.com