Skin costs

I don't think it would be fair to charge a client for a full skin when
you only use half, especially if you are using skins that are especially
made for binding and are expensive.

I worked it like this. I measured out on several skins the area that I
could reasonably use, excluding the legs, neck and tail areas. I think
it came to about two thirds of three quarters of the skin, I don't
remember exactly. I added up all the costs of the leather including
postage, texes etc., and divided it by the useable area, giving me a
price per square inch (or cm, in my case).

Although I never throw anything away and use the little bits for onlays
and such, I don't charge for them. The amount of time that I spend
working the leather in dollars per hour far outways the cost of the
leather anyway.

Yehuda Miklaf
Jerusalem