Re: Skin Costs

This issue deals with the why's of a lot of things.
    Why does the customer know what he wants?
    Why does the customer come to you?
    Why are you able to find the skin at all?

The customer knows because of we are dealing with a very literate public.
The customer wants you to do the job because you are able to be flexible in
your work. You can find the skin because there is a market and a demand.

If the customer knows what he wants, you know how to do and can supply the
materials, then the customer should be willing to pay the cost.

In today's world of everyone wanting small quantities of unique items, we
are the ones who can answer that want. With the variety of materials
available and no two customers wanting the same item, we have no choice but
to purchase materials for a particular job. All that being said, I feel that
we have no choice but to charge what it costs to do the job. The cost
includes all the material purchased specifically for the job. Sometimes
there are materials leftover from a job. What you do with that leftover
material is up to you and your work habits. There are a myriad of reasons to
do or not to do - you feel that you can use it to experiment on something
else later, don't have room to store it, know the customer would appreciate
having the leftovers.

The main point is you want to prevent getting yourself into the position of
looking into the cabinet six months or a year of so later and seeing a
partial pack of paper which was purchased for a job and is not unusable for
whatever reason and you only charged for the portion that was used. If it is
purchased for a particular job. make sure the total cost is figured in the
job price. Never allow yourself to think there is any value in the leftover
material.

tks

aj