Re: Paint a Book Press

To Paint or Not to Paint - that is the Question.

My motivation has always been - what am I going to do with the item. Some
things are for display purposes only, some are for storage, some are to be
used for production.

For the display and production pieces, I mainly want to clean and get down
to a working item. I use very little paint. I like to use a flat spray paint
specifically for metal. Normally cleaning and oiling and using something
like a metal polish will do an adequate job of making a working piece of
equipment. Never sandblast anything.  Sandblasting will destroy the surface
of the casting. If there is so much crud etc. that scraping, sanding, and
such just won't do the job, then mask all bearing surfaces and platen or bed
surface with a soft tape, and go to someone you trust with the sandblaster.
Wait while the item is sandblasted, never leave it to be picked up later.
Have a can of oil with you and as soon as the sandblasting is complete, coat
all the blasted surfaces with the oil. Sandblasting removes all the oil and
original coatings from the metal. Oxidation will begin almost immediately.
Oiling the surface will stop this and allow you to clean and repaint.

Original is always best if possible.

tks

aj