Re: Reconditioning old rubber stamps

At 05:30 AM 1/17/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear Book Arts Friends,
>
>In the last couple of years, I have obtained several
>handsome old (1920s-1940s) rubber stamp type sets.
>There are a few letters where the rubber has gotten
>very hard over the years. I need to know if there is a
>"proper" way to clean and recondition the stamps or if
>that is simply impossible given the circumstances.
>
>I am aware of a few commercial products that advertise
>themselves as cleaners/reconditioners. They seem to
>add a glycerin compound of some kind as the
>conditioning agent. I've done some literature studies
>without much success.
>
>Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Bill, I'd try going to the website for the American Institute for
Conservation, http://aic.stanford.edu/. You will probably find all sorts of
information there. If you scroll down to the bottom and click on CoOL, you
can get into the archives of the Cons DistList and search on rubber or
rubber stamps.

Anne T. Lane, Collections Manger
York County Culture & Heritage Commission
4621 Mount Gallant Road
Rock Hill SC 29715
803-329-2121 ext 104
alane@rhtc.net