Paste Paper history

  In the last few weeks I've been browsing through many of my books (winter
in Maine, treat) and know I came across a reference to a book published in
the 40's on paste paper.  Now I can't find the reference, and wonder if this
rings a bell with anyone.  (It sure would be easier to track down the book
if I knew the title or author, in other words.)  Thanks, Martha Hall