Re: web sites

I have had my website gallery up for four years now and although I have
done almost nothing to promote it there is moderate traffic - about 100
in the last month (not like a hot site but ok all things considered).
Despite this, I would have to say that I have had only occassional
inquiries and I don't really know who is looking at the site.

It's not set-up as a marketing tool so I have not expected to sell
artwork from the site but it does show my work, mentions there is a
catalogue and lists things like workshops, etc. that I teach. In four
years I have had maybe 3 inquiries about workshops and the Macintosh
Intro Book which I wrote.

I am part of a webring of artists' books which I think brings an
audience to the site.
http://www.ringsurf.com/netring?ring=bookart;action=home

I don't know if this is at all helpful. It will be interesting to hear
other peoples' experience.
I don't think my expereince is typical.

I did find that once when it was suggested by someone on this list that
folks look at my site, there were over 100 visits in a couple of days,
which just goes to show you. MANY more people have seen my work because
of the website than would have the opportunity otherwise. Sooooo.....  I
would say go for it - it's all in the design of the site and then the
promoting of it.

--
Peter Sramek
Book°Sequence Gallery