Re: web sites

--part1_44.b0b7093.27acfaf2_boundary

I basically agree with most of the comments already made. What I would add is
the usefulness of Freemerchant.com   this site provides a free (yes free!)
business website complete with shopping cart purchasing.  This provides a
secure method for people to supply their credit card numbers which I then run
through my POS terminal.  Freemerchant actually came out on top of one of the
recent PC Week reviews of business web hosting.  Credit Card transactions
over-the-web now account for more than 50% of my sales.

Note that the Freemerchant.com website is not my main site, which is on AOL.
Although the Freemerchant site stands on it own, all the real action is on my
AOL site which directs sales to the Freemerchant site via links.

I use Frontpage 2000 to build my main website and it works pretty well,
particulary in managing the uploading process. What I've suggested to others
is  they have their webmasters (I don't use one but everyone else I know
does) use frontpage 2000 to construct their webs and then give them a copy of
the original files and then they can do the minor updating that is always
involved.

One of the biggest problems on the web is overcoming the general noise level.
That is, how does anyone find you.  Typically, most people will only look at
the first or maybe second page of any search engine result.  This makes it
important to demonstrate as many unique sectors of interest as possible.  One
bookbinder here noted that she got sales not because of her bookbinding per
se but because Erica Jong was one of the titles on her webpage.  Just
"bookbinding" won't do anything for you. "Erica Jong bookbinding" brings in
business.  For me, it's important to mention on the website and in the meta
statements the different ballplayers who appeared in Crosman advertising. I
sold a special 25 book edition of one  my books to him and his Nellie Fox fan
club.  Again, not just Crosman, or Crosman airgun, but Crosman airgun Nellie
Fox is what brought in business.   Be sure to also mention where you are
located on the webpage and in meta statements.  Also, make sure that the
first couple line of text on your webpage say it all. Leave the salutations,
etc, for later. Get right to the point of why somebody wants to be there.

The internet pays off for those willing to work at being innovative.

Regards,
DT Fletcher

Books available:
<A HREF="http://dtfletcher.safeshopper.com/1/cat1.htm?730">75 years of  Crosman Airguns </A>- the complete, official history of Crosman Arms
and every Crosman airgun produced from 1923 to 1999.
<A HREF="http://dtfletcher.safeshopper.com/5/cat5.htm?730">The St. Louis & Benjmain Air Rifle Cos.</A> -a complete history of the Benjamin
Air Rifle Co. and every airgun model produced from 1899 - 1999.
<A HREF="http://dtfletcher.safeshopper.com/6/cat6.htm?730">The Crosman Rifle 1923-1950 </A>- The air rifle that started it all and the
company and people who made it.

All DT Fletcher Books and collectables are available at :<A HREF="http://dtfletcher.safeshopper.com/">
http://dtfletcher.safeshopper.com</A>
PayPal, Money Orders, Personal Checks,Visa, MC, Discover accepted.
DT Fletcher
6720 NE Rodney Ave.
Portland, OR 97211
503/289-5837
Vintage airgun repair info: <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/vintairgun/repairs.htm">http://members.aol.com/vintairgun/repairs.htm</A>
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/vintairgun/home.htm">Vintage American Airguns website</A>

--part1_44.b0b7093.27acfaf2_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">
<BR>
<BR>I basically agree with most of the comments already made. What I would add is
<BR>the usefulness of Freemerchant.com &nbsp;&nbsp;this site provides a free (yes free!)
<BR>business website complete with shopping cart purchasing. &nbsp;This provides a
<BR>secure method for people to supply their credit card numbers which I then run
<BR>through my POS terminal. &nbsp;Freemerchant actually came out on top of one of the
<BR>recent PC Week reviews of business web hosting. &nbsp;Credit Card transactions
<BR>over-the-web now account for more than 50% of my sales.
<BR>
<BR>Note that the Freemerchant.com website is not my main site, which is on AOL.
<BR>Although the Freemerchant site stands on it own, all the real action is on my
<BR>AOL site which directs sales to the Freemerchant site via links.
<BR>
<BR>I use Frontpage 2000 to build my main website and it works pretty well,
<BR>particulary in managing the uploading process. What I've suggested to others
<BR>is &nbsp;they have their webmasters (I don't use one but everyone else I know
<BR>does) use frontpage 2000 to construct their webs and then give them a copy of
<BR>the original files and then they can do the minor updating that is always
<BR>involved.
<BR>
<BR>One of the biggest problems on the web is overcoming the general noise level.
<BR>That is, how does anyone find you. &nbsp;Typically, most people will only look at
<BR>the first or maybe second page of any search engine result. &nbsp;This makes it
<BR>important to demonstrate as many unique sectors of interest as possible. &nbsp;One
<BR>bookbinder here noted that she got sales not because of her bookbinding per
<BR>se but because Erica Jong was one of the titles on her webpage. &nbsp;Just
<BR>"bookbinding" won't do anything for you. "Erica Jong bookbinding" brings in
<BR>business. &nbsp;For me, it's important to mention on the website and in the meta
<BR>statements the different ballplayers who appeared in Crosman advertising. I
<BR>sold a special 25 book edition of one &nbsp;my books to him and his Nellie Fox fan
<BR>club. &nbsp;Again, not just Crosman, or Crosman airgun, but Crosman airgun Nellie
<BR>Fox is what brought in business. &nbsp;&nbsp;Be sure to also mention where you are
<BR>located on the webpage and in meta statements. &nbsp;Also, make sure that the
<BR>first couple line of text on your webpage say it all. Leave the salutations,
<BR>etc, for later. Get right to the point of why somebody wants to be there.
<BR>
<BR>The internet pays off for those willing to work at being innovative.
<BR>
<BR>Regards,
<BR>DT Fletcher
<BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial Narrow" LANG="0">
<BR>Books available:
<BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#0000ff" SIZE=4 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Times New Roman" LANG="0"><I><A HREF="http://dtfletcher.safeshopper.com/1/cat1.htm?730">75 years of &nbsp;Crosman Airguns</I></U> </A></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial Narrow" LANG="0">-<I> </FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Times New Roman" LANG="0">the complete, official history of Crosman Arms
<BR>and every Crosman airgun produced from 1923 to 1999</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial Narrow" LANG="0">. &nbsp;</I>
<BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#0000ff" SIZE=4 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Times New Roman" LANG="0"><I><A HREF="http://dtfletcher.safeshopper.com/5/cat5.htm?730">The St. Louis &amp; Benjmain Air Rifle Cos.</A></I></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></I> <I>-</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Times New Roman" LANG="0">a complete history of the Benjamin
<BR>Air Rifle Co. and <U>every</U> airgun model produced from 1899 - 1999.</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></I>
<BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#0000ff" SIZE=4 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Times New Roman" LANG="0"><I><A HREF="http://dtfletcher.safeshopper.com/6/cat6.htm?730">The Crosman Rifle 1923-1950 </A></I></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Times New Roman" LANG="0"></I>- <I>The air rifle that started it all and the
<BR>company and people who made it.</I>
<BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial Narrow" LANG="0">
<BR>All DT Fletcher Books and collectables are available at :<A HREF="http://dtfletcher.safeshopper.com/">
<BR>http://dtfletcher.safeshopper.com</A>
<BR>PayPal, Money Orders, Personal Checks,Visa, MC, Discover accepted.
<BR>DT Fletcher
<BR>6720 NE Rodney Ave.
<BR>Portland, OR 97211
<BR>503/289-5837