Re: Websites

--part1_15.f666c6a.27b027ca_boundary

Patty@XCLENT.CO.UK writes:

> It's very hard to get to know a "community" of
> artists/collectors/anyone interested in the book arts  and thank God the
> internet is bringing us closer together!

I've made this suggestion before but .. I still think one of the best ways
for an "artist" community to be built is via Freemerchant.com  If you accept
their .safeshopper.com tag, the URL registration is even free.  Freemerchant
has the tools to build communitites of like-minded web sites.  The only real
cost is the time it takes to build and promote your storefront.  And, for
anyone interested in promoting their own websites, the tools and methods at
Freemerchant are a great blueprint.    The big thing, for those interested in
accepting Credit Card orders via the Internet, with Freemerchant.com all you
need is a POS (point of sale) machine and an account with Discover/Novus
which costs all of $150 for the machine. I've looked at this everywhich way
and this is by far the easiest and cheapest way to accept Credit Cards
on-line or via phone/mail for that matter.

The other thing that this group should be doing more of is link exchanging.
There should be a constant buzz of folks on this forum putting up their links
for others to use.  As more sites are linked together then all of the sites
will benefit from increased exposure. 25, 50, or 100 like-minded websites
linked together, especially under a group name, could generate some real
action.  The point being: 25 isolated bookarts websites are little but
nothing, on the other hand, take those same 25 bookarts websites all linked
together and you have something.  Here in Portland, there is the Saturday
Market. On the Internet, something like the Book_Arts_Market might have a
similiar impact.   For example: if you had 25 websites linked together under
the same banner then the group could submit a Yahoo registration and split
the $199 cost 25 ways ($4). All sorts of possiblities start to open up.

I'm not sure why, but something tells me that this idea will do about as well
as the ol' herd of cats ;-)

Regards,
DT Fletcher

PS: All DT Fletcher Books are available at :<A HREF="http://dtfletcher.safeshopper.com/"> http://dtfletcher.safeshopper.com
</A>

--part1_15.f666c6a.27b027ca_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 2/4/01 1:53:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,