Re: Accordian Folds

Y'all:

I have to jump in on this accordion fold question. I must have folded about
180gazillion accordions in 20 years of edition miniature bindings. The REAL
problem with accordions is not the size of the fold, but the fact that
PAPER HAS A THICKNESS! This must be taken into account always.=20

The only way I've found to get an accurate (and not parallologrammed)
accordion is what computer folk call WYSIWYG (What you see is what you
get). Have your paper longer than you need, for safety. Decide how deep you
want your fold to be, measure it the first time only, and fold it. After
that it's WYSIWYG: match every other fold to the one behind (or under) it.
In each fold you have the option to over-fold, to short-fold or to hit it
right on the nose. Simple as that.

My wonderful apprentice, Blake Smith, has just finished an edition of 65
books, where he folded 1/4" folds until his eyes bugged out. And EVERY ONE
was perfect and true. ...and so is Blake!

Pat Baldwin

At 05:53 PM 02/06/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>No, you don't need to struggle with this one although you come out with
>the same solution. The trick (as you indicate you know) is to always
>work by folding your length in half and then to continue to fold in
>halves to the existing  fold. That way you will end up with even folds.
>
>This way, however, you will always get multiples of 2:  2,4,8,16, etc.
>To get your 5 panels you would have to sacrifice 3 after folding up an
>accordion of 8 widths. Start with a strip 16" just as you say. (Of
>course, you do lose a bit in the fold which makes for your .25")
>
>Knowing this, for a particular accordion you just count which multiple
>of 2 is right for the result you want and multiply your width by that
>number. Then you do cut the excess.
>
>For longer accordions you can work between 3 or 4 fold points which are
>equidistant to get closer to the number you want. (It's a big jump
>between 16 and 32)
>
>--
>Peter Sramek
>Book=B0Sequence Gallery