Re: the REAL reason for remainder marks?

--part1_db.10271b13.27b99025_boundary

I think the books were marked for inventory purposes, I assume, and I always
wondered why most publishers choose not mark their remaindered books and a
few don't...and here's the real reason why books are remaindered, and one I
forgot to mention: tax purposes. Unsold books, under some IRS law, can now be
claimed by publishers...before 75 or so, this wasn't done, and unsold books
remained in publisher's storage for years...in fact, rumor among book scouts
was Scribner's warehouse was great for finding early editions of classics
like The Great Gatsby, for instance, all the way until the mid-70s...so there
ya have it!

In a message dated 2/12/01 9:40:31 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
godshawl@EMAIL.UC.EDU writes:

> Okay, it's best to admit my ignorance.  I don't really understand why
> remaindered books are usually but not always marked.  To identify the book
> for the library?
>
> Yours, Bill Godshalk
>
> >Don't forget, the reason the mark was put there in the
> >first place was to identify the book for the library.

--part1_db.10271b13.27b99025_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>I think the books were marked for inventory purposes, I assume, and I always
<BR>wondered why most publishers choose not mark their remaindered books and a
<BR>few don't...and here's the real reason why books are remaindered, and one I
<BR>forgot to mention: tax purposes. Unsold books, under some IRS law, can now be
<BR>claimed by publishers...before 75 or so, this wasn't done, and unsold books
<BR>remained in publisher's storage for years...in fact, rumor among book scouts
<BR>was Scribner's warehouse was great for finding early editions of classics
<BR>like The Great Gatsby, for instance, all the way until the mid-70s...so there
<BR>ya have it!
<BR>
<BR>In a message dated 2/12/01 9:40:31 AM US Mountain Standard Time,