RBS Camels and Dromedaries

--=====================_71589580==_.ALT

This message is being sent to the Book_Arts-L, ExLibris, and SHARP
electronic bulletin boards.

My high school geometry teacher used to scale our grades. We asked him once
how we were doing, and (looking at the graph showing the normal curve of
our test scores) he replied, "Well, I wanted a camel, but I've got a
dromedary. "
         Offering Rare Book School (RBS) courses on subjects ranging from
Latin paleography to contemporary artists' books has its own roller coaster
thrills. Here's the present state of play for the March and June sessions
(all courses are restricted to 12 students except for Intro to Desbib,
which -- with its five instructors -- admits 18).

RBS March 12-16 session:

short waiting list      History of the Printed Book to 1800 (Antonetti)
short waiting list      Printed Ephemera (Twyman)
two spaces              Publishers' Bindings, 1830-1910 (S Allen)
two spaces              Intro to Descriptive Bibliography (TB/Noble)
short waiting list      Electronic Texts and Images (Seaman)

Very nearly a camel.

June 4-8 session
         History of European and American Papermaking (Bidwell)
         Physical Evidence in Early Printed Books (Needham)
         Book Illustration Processes to 1890 (TB)
         Rare Book Cataloging (Leslie)

One of these course has received exactly 12 applications thus far, the
others somewhat less, but all -- nota bene -- already healthy, though still
dromedaries. The first round of admit letters for the June session will go
out according to our new schedule, three months before the start of
classes, in the first week of March.

The first round of admit letters for the July 16 - August 10th session will
begin to go out in mid-April, week by week, three months before the start
of classes. (Roger Wieck's new course, The Manuscript Book, already very
nearly a camel; most of the others still dromedaries).

Terry Belanger : University Professor : University of Virginia
Rare Book School : 114 Alderman Library : Charlottesville, VA  22903
Telephone 804/924-8851   fax 804/924-8824   email belanger@virginia.edu
URL  <http://www.virginia.edu/oldbooks/>

--=====================_71589580==_.ALT

This message is being sent to the Book_Arts-L, ExLibris, and SHARP
electronic bulletin boards.<br>
My high school geometry teacher used to scale our grades. We asked him
once how we were doing, and (looking at the graph showing the normal
curve of our test scores) he replied, &quot;Well, I wanted a camel, but
I've got a dromedary. &quot;<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Offering
Rare Book School (RBS) courses on subjects ranging from Latin paleography
to contemporary artists' books has its own roller coaster thrills. Here's
the present state of play for the March and June sessions (all courses
are restricted to 12 students except for Intro to Desbib, which -- with
its five instructors -- admits 18).<br>
RBS March 12-16 session:<br>
short waiting
list<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>History of the
Printed Book to 1800 (Antonetti)<br>
short waiting
list<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Printed Ephemera
(Twyman)<br>
two
spaces<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Publishers'
Bindings, 1830-1910 (S Allen)<br>
two
spaces<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Intro
to Descriptive Bibliography (TB/Noble)<br>
short waiting
list<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Electronic Texts
and Images (Seaman)<br>
Very nearly a camel.<br>
June 4-8 session<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>History of
European and American Papermaking (Bidwell)<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Physical
Evidence in Early Printed Books (Needham)<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Book
Illustration Processes to 1890 (TB)<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Rare Book
Cataloging (Leslie)<br>
One of these course has received exactly 12 applications thus far, the
others somewhat less, but all -- nota bene -- already healthy, though
still dromedaries. The first round of admit letters for the June session
will go out according to our new schedule, three months before the start
of classes, in the first week of March. <br>
The first round of admit letters for the July 16 - August 10th session
will begin to go out in mid-April, week by week, three months before the
start of classes. (Roger Wieck's new course, The Manuscript Book, already
very nearly a camel; most of the others still dromedaries).<br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Virginia<br>
Rare Book School : 114 Alderman Library : Charlottesville, VA&nbsp;
22903<br>