CFP: Underground Comix book project (collection; 3/23)

[I just joined this list--glad to have found it!  I hope this project is of interest to
some of you here.  Thanks!  --Gene Kannenberg Jr.--]

UPDATED CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS (BOOK)
Revised deadline for abstracts: Friday, March 23, 2001

_Comix with an X: Critical Responses to American Underground Comics_

Edited by Charles Hatfield, Gene Kannenberg, Jr., and Joseph Witek

While acknowledged as a transformative period in the history of American
(and indeed world) comics, the underground "comix" era of the late 1960s
and early seventies figures but little in academic studies.  Though "comix"
have been cited as important precursors to the critical revaluation of comic
art (see, e.g., Witek 1988 and Sabin 1993), and offer a clear window onto the
development of alternative culture and the American small press, scholars
have yet to assess fully the challenge posed by the underground to prevailing
conceptions of comics, both literary-critical and sociocultural.  This essay
collection, which aims to build on recent academic interest in comic art
(e.g., Gordon, Nyberg, Rubenstein), will bring comix to the forefront of
discussion by engaging the underground on cultural, political, and aesthetic
terms.

We welcome rigorous, theoretically grounded essays from a variety of
disciplines.  Our goal is to concentrate primarily but not exclusively on the
peak period of comix, circa 1968 to 1975, with the years 1960 and 1980 as
convenient outer boundaries.  Given the historical and formal ties between
comix and various other types of comic art, significant precursors and
followers may be considered, but the primary focus of attention should be on
the underground and its influence.

We aim for a focused collection that covers core topics and provides a
comprehensive introduction to the underground.  Therefore we are especially
interested in essays on the following:

* the influence of comix (both in the United States and abroad)
* political/ideological argument in comix
* gender in comix
* race and racism in comix
* the economics of comix: publishing, syndication, distribution, retail
* political and legal challenges to (or suppression of) comix
* links between comix and prior traditions: comic strips, comic books,
  animation, etc.

We plan to include at least eight full-length essays, a summative and critical
introduction, and a comprehensive bibliography and index.  The exact length
of the essays will be determined in collaboration with the publisher, but
prospective contributors should anticipate a firm limit of not more than 10,000
words.  Proper form for notes and citations will be determined after the initial
submissions are compiled and the book formally proposed.

INITIAL SUBMISSIONS SHOULD BE MADE IN THE FORM OF DETAILED
ABSTRACTS, not to exceed 750 words (or two double-spaced pages).
Abstracts may be submitted by post or electronically (see below).  The
deadline for receipt of abstracts is Friday, March 23, 2001.

After the initial selection process, we will solicit paper and electronic copies
of those essays chosen for publication.  Prospective contributors should
expect to hear from the editors by or before May 15, 2001.

Send abstracts to:

Charles Hatfield
Department of English, Box U-25
University of Connecticut
Storrs CT  06269-1025  USA

or email to <Hatfield@uconn.edu>

Gene Kannenberg, Jr.
http://www.sp.uconn.edu/~epk93002/ -- Gene.Kannenberg@uconn.edu
  Chair, Comic Art & Comics Area, Popular Culture Association
http://www.ComicsResearch.org/ -- Gene@ComicsResearch.org
  Comics Scholarship Annotated Bibliographies