All about Gocco printing...

If you search the archives you should be able to find some information from

The print Gocco is a small plastic toy that uses flash bulbs to expose small
cardboard framed silk screens. The screens are pre-treated with emulsion
(I've been told that that's not technically what it is, but it's the most
descriptive word I can think of) and are sandwiched between a flash bulb
unit and your master, printed on a piece of white paper using anything that
is carbon based (photocopier, laser printer, some pens, etc.). When you
press down, a battery causes the bulbs to flash and the quick burst of heat
causes carbon based printing to melt for a moment and bond to the emulsion.
When the paper with the original image on it is pulled off the screen, the
emulsion is pulled off with it, just in the areas where there was toner.
This allows ink to pass through the silk screen just in those areas.

The screen has a little flap of plastic over the back, so you can apply ink
to the image - different colors in different areas if desired - put it back
into the flashing unit (this time with no bulbs), place a blank paper on the
'bed' and print away. You can also attach the screen to a hand-held foam
backed stamper to basically stamp the image on larger paper, fabric, etc.
You can also peel off the plastic and print with a squeegie.

The ink is oil based and seems to be pretty durable. The great thing is that
it's highly portable and can be used easily on a kitchen counter or small
desktop.

Most of the printed and on-line information you'll see will show people
printing kitties onto kitchen curtains and other cute stuff that doesn't
even begin to show what the printer can do to create interesting multiple
images for artist's books, etc. Just about anything you can do with
traditional silk screen you can do with this printer, just in smaller scale.
I'm working (slowly) on a publication that is more geared to artists who
want to add text and images to their work.

I'm teaching a full day Gocco workshop at Crow's Shadow Institute outside
Pendleton Oregon on March 27th. Too bad you're a couple thousand miles away.

Best wishes,
Roberta

Pendleton, Oregon
paper@oregontrail.net