Re: Repair Tip Needed

Kara,

I'm finally getting around to responding to your question on how to repair
a spine. Check ou the books on bookbinding at your local library. Most will
have instructions for replacing a spine. Or go to Bibliphon.com; I'm sure
you'll find links to just the information you need. It's a simple repair
job if you know what you're doing. If you don't, it can be a disaster.

I think it is helpful, indeed necessary, for makers of artist's books to
know traditional bookbinding methods and techniques. Learn the names of the
parts of a book and some of the terms of the trade. Buy or borrow a book,
such as HAND BOOKBINDING: a manual of instruction, by Aldren Watson. Read
it through to become acquainted with the process. Make one of the projects.
You'll find it will help with your artist's books.

My work is mostly rebinding, repairing and restoring books, although I
sometimes bind new books for writers and,  occasionally, small editions, as
you will read shortly. Often, someone will come to me with a book the
repair of which will cost far more than the book is worth. Unless the book
has sentimental value for the owner (her mother's cookbook has her pancake
batter on that page; her father has made notes throughout the Bible) I
suggest checking the internet for a replacement copy, the same edition, at
much less cost. Bookfinder.com is a good source.

Good luck,

Betty

At 09:34 AM 02/15/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>--------------1FBDB168CE4067C10A10C3F4
>
>I make books, but I never repair them.  I have a friend who asked me to
repair
>a cookbook she has.  It's in remarkably good shape.  The covers are intact,
>but the cardboard/cover part of the spine is missing (the binding itself is
>intact). What's a good way to easily/attractively cover the spine while
>keeping the original covers intact? I don't want to turn this into a major
>repair job, but I want it to look nice and be sturdy.  Thanks for any
>suggestions.
>
>Kara
>
>--
>Kara Sjoblom
>www.karonimo.com/resources.html
>www.karonimo.com/artists.html
>
>--------------1FBDB168CE4067C10A10C3F4
>
><!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
>I make books, but I never repair them.&nbsp; I have a friend who asked
>me to repair a cookbook she has.&nbsp; It's in remarkably good shape.&nbsp;
>The covers are intact, but the cardboard/cover part of the spine is missing
>(the binding itself is intact). What's a good way to easily/attractively
>cover the spine while keeping the original covers intact? I don't want
>to turn this into a major repair job, but I want it to look nice and be
>sturdy.&nbsp; Thanks for any suggestions.
href="http://www.karonimo.com/resources.html">www.karonimo.com/resources.htm
l</a>
href="http://www.karonimo.com/artists.html">www.karonimo.com/artists.html</a

Betty Storz   storz@mcn.org