Scotch Tape on spines

--MS_Mac_OE_3066170932_825306_MIME_Part

I posted a treatment method on the Conservation Dist-list a few years ago
that I have found helpful in this circumstance.  BUT I have warnings.

You can try and remove it manually, but very often this will tear the grain
layer away.  My suggested method is simple- use Klucel G as a solvent
vehicle.  In this case I use the Klucel that is already prepared in ethanol
for leather consolidation, but add additional solvent if necessary, after
testing.  I have found it to be a little easier to use in this case, rather
than powder poultices, as you can better see what your are doing.  A little
bit can go a very long way- just the tip of a micro spatula dipped in the
concoction, then inserted under a loose edge of the tape, reapplying when
necessary, is enough.

I STRONGLY recommend that this treatment be performed by an experienced book
conservator, who is thoroughly familiar with the handling of the necessary
solvents.  It's advisable that even then, they practice on a less valuable
book first.  If you're really lucky, the same tape was used throughout the
collection, due to the same person's efforts.  that way if you find what
works for one, it may work for the rest.

Here's the link to the posting:

BY THE WAY.  This reminds me on an interesting discussion that began a few
months ago but seems to have fizzled.  There was a suggestion by an Italian
Conservator that the use of Klucel G, and cellulosic ethers in general for
leather consolidation wasn't really the best idea in the world, due to
ineffective penetration into the leather, aging poorly, and potentially even
damaging due to the polarity of the ethanol swelling the fiber bundles.  One
person responded who had mentioned an experiment using B-72.  Then that was
that.  There has been a lot of discussion about leather dressings, oilings,
etc etc, but I would like to suggest that we attempt to pay this subject a
little more attentions as well.

I searched the Conservation list for more information, but only found one
entry that mentioned one other alternative to Klucel G mentioned.  At a GBW
meeting in Greensboro, I had heard of a discussion concerning use of another
type of Klucel in Xylene, which caused the leather to swell less (though
this is still a cellulosic ether), but know nothing of the details.  I've
used a method of thinning a small amount of sc6000 wax with Klucel in
Ethanol, on severely rotted leather .  It's also a nice way of controlling
sc6000 for other applications, giving it more open time and helps reduce the
sheen.  Still, I wonder about the long term effects, and openly question if
it is really something to be used on a more significant item.  Could the
combination of acrylic and wax in the emulsion of Klucel

At any rate, I think this is a valuable discussion, and would like to hear
more.   Perhaps querying objects conservators who have experience in leather
may reveal something that book conservators haven't heard about.   Perhaps
this is a discussion that is better for the Conservation List, but since it
came up here originally, it's worth pursuing.

Regards,

Jake Benson

Benson's Hand Bindery
Fine Custom Bookbinding & Conservation
Hand Marbled Papers
1319 B Summerville Ave.
Columbia S.C. 29201
Phone: 803.799.1853
jemiljan@worldnet.att.net
http://www.iprofsys.com/bensonsmarbles.htm

--MS_Mac_OE_3066170932_825306_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Scotch Tape on spines</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
I posted a treatment method on the Conservation Dist-list a few years ago t=
hat I have found helpful in this circumstance. &nbsp;BUT I have warnings.<BR=

<BR>
You can try and remove it manually, but very often this will tear the grain=
 layer away. &nbsp;My suggested method is simple- use Klucel G as a solvent =
vehicle. &nbsp;In this case I use the Klucel that is already prepared in eth=
anol for leather consolidation, but add additional solvent if necessary, aft=
er testing. &nbsp;I have found it to be a little easier to use in this case,=
 rather than powder poultices, as you can better see what your are doing. &n=
bsp;A little bit can go a very long way- just the tip of a micro spatula dip=
ped in the concoction, then inserted under a loose edge of the tape, reapply=
ing when necessary, is enough. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
I STRONGLY recommend that this treatment be performed by an experienced boo=
k conservator, who is thoroughly familiar with the handling of the necessary=
 solvents. &nbsp;It's advisable that even then, they practice on a less valu=
able book first. &nbsp;If you're really lucky, the same tape was used throug=
hout the collection, due to the same person's efforts. &nbsp;that way if you=
 find what works for one, it may work for the rest. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
Here's the link to the posting:<BR>
<BR>
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mailing-lists/cdl/1998/0733.html<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
BY THE WAY. &nbsp;This reminds me on an interesting discussion that began a=
 few months ago but seems to have fizzled. &nbsp;There was a suggestion by a=
n Italian Conservator that the use of Klucel G, and cellulosic ethers in gen=
eral for leather consolidation wasn't really the best idea in the world, due=
 to ineffective penetration into the leather, aging poorly, and potentially =
even damaging due to the polarity of the ethanol swelling the fiber bundles.=
 &nbsp;One person responded who had mentioned an experiment using B-72. &nbs=
p;Then that was that. &nbsp;There has been a lot of discussion about leather=
 dressings, oilings, etc etc, but I would like to suggest that we attempt to=
 pay this subject a little more attentions as well.<BR>
<BR>
I searched the Conservation list for more information, but only found one e=
ntry that mentioned one other alternative to Klucel G mentioned. &nbsp;At a =
GBW meeting in Greensboro, I had heard of a discussion concerning use of ano=
ther type of Klucel in Xylene, which caused the leather to swell less (thoug=
h this is still a cellulosic ether), but know nothing of the details. &nbsp;=
I've used a method of thinning a small amount of sc6000 wax with Klucel in E=
thanol, on severely rotted leather . &nbsp;It's also a nice way of controlli=
ng sc6000 for other applications, giving it more open time and helps reduce =
the sheen. &nbsp;Still, I wonder about the long term effects, and openly que=
stion if it is really something to be used on a more significant item. &nbsp=
;Could the combination of acrylic and wax in the emulsion of Klucel <BR>
<BR>
At any rate, I think this is a valuable discussion, and would like to hear =
more. &nbsp;&nbsp;Perhaps querying objects conservators who have experience =
in leather may reveal something that book conservators haven't heard about. =
&nbsp;&nbsp;Perhaps this is a discussion that is better for the Conservation=
 List, but since it came up here originally, it's worth pursuing. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
Regards,<BR>
<BR>
Jake Benson<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<FONT FACE=3D"AppleGaramond Bd">Benson's Hand Bindery<BR>
Fine Custom Bookbinding &amp; Conservation<BR>
Hand Marbled Papers<BR>
1319 B Summerville Ave.<BR>
Columbia S.C. 29201<BR>
Phone: 803.799.1853<BR>
jemiljan@worldnet.att.net<BR>
http://www.iprofsys.com/bensonsmarbles.htm<BR>
</FONT><BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3066170932_825306_MIME_Part--