Re: manuals

  I still find Johnson useful to have, not necessarily as a "how to" but as a "how
it was done" book.  For those doing repairs on a lot of nineteenth century
materials, his accounts of how these books were forwarded and diagrams of sewing
patterns are useful.  Yes, the double flexible diagram shows the stitch pattern that
pulls the cords apart rather than together, but that doesn't mean you won't see that
sewing in real books. There is precious little, in fact, that one doesn't see in
real books.  And a lot of us spend some of our time in jaw-slacked disbelief  ("What
was he/she thinking?" mode) at what can be revealled when disbinding old books for
major repair work.  I have a few favorites.    Anyway, a variety of manuals is a
good thing to have on the shelf, as much for information on what shouldn't have been
done, but was, as for pointers on how to do it now.
  Dorothy Africa