Re: Manuals

I own most of the books that have been mentioned so far and have learned
and use certain techniques from each of them. I will list here only my
favorites, which have not yet been named.

I do mainly repair and restoration with some new construction of
traditional bindings, sewn on cords or tapes, and some oriental stab,
accordion and Coptic books.  My old stand-by I cannot do without is
Laurence Town's "Bookbinding by Hand", Pitman Publishing Co., N.Y., 1950,
long out of print. The chapter on endpapers is the most complete and best I
have seen. A fold-out chart in the back lists all the steps in binding a
book. Bookfinder.com lists 4 copies available , three l950 editions at
32.50 - $43.00; a second 1963 edition in fine condition is $60.00 (located
in S. Africa).

The other manual I find indispensible is Laura S. Young's Bookbinding &
Conservation by Hand: a working guide," Oak Knoll, 1995. First published by
Bowker in 1981. ISBN 1-884718-10-8(CASED); 1-884718-11-6 (pbk)

Aldren Watson's "Hand Bookbinding" is good especially for a beginner and
has excellent suggestions for handmade tools. I did get ideas for tools
also from Manly Banister's "Bookbinding as a Handicraaft."

For Oriental bindings I recommend "Japanese Bookbinding by Kojiro Ikegami
ISBN 0-8348-0196-5.

Makers of artists' books would do well to study a good book on traditional
bindings to learn some of the principles and techniques developed long ago
and still hold true today.

Betty
Betty Storz   storz@mcn.org
Mendocino, CA