Re: Bookbinding Manuals

I surely didn't intend any "whiff of dismisiveness"! I'm just jealous
because I don't have the artistic creativity it takes to design those
imaginative artists' books.  I own Cover to Cover and am blown away by the
books Shereen,  my friend Dorothy Swendeman and others have created.

However, nowhere in her book does Shereen LaPlantz mention the grain of
paper board and cloth, unless she has corrected this omission in subsequent
editions. Following her instructions will produce books with the grain in
the wrong direction. This is one of the reasons I suggest reading a good
basic bookbinding manual.

Betty

At 11:19 AM 03/01/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>In the "funky-foldy" category, (I hope I'm imagining that wiff of
>dismissiveness...) many book artists use Cover To Cover, by Shereen
>LaPlantz. Those wonderful funky folds are an inspiration, a starting
>point, for an infinite variety of structures for sculptural
>one-of-a-kind artists books. Many examples of these can be seen in the
>photographs of art works she uses to illustrate her book (which has more
>in it than just the folding structures).
>Fanz Zeiers' book is an excellent craft manual. Keith Smith is
>brilliant. Shereen La Plantz is inspirational.
>By the way, she's working on a sequel.
>Susan Rotolo

Betty Storz   storz@mcn.org
Mendocino, CA