Re: Bookbinding Manuals

It seems that you can have sound instructions or great gallery photos, but
rarely both in one reference book.

So many of the flashy books out now (of which I own many) have glaring
omissions or just plain loopy instructions. The Rockport books are
notoriously vague - I would think a beginner would want to jump off a bridge
after attempting a first project based on their directions. Another
prominent book out in the last few years shows the turn-ins on every single
example done backwards (sides before top and bottom).

The good news is, they excite people to make books and pursue more
information. Then, when you give them good, sound basics and instruction in
a workshop, you look like a genius. Always a good thing.

They also provide an opportunity to get images of your books out there -
several of the most recent publications posted calls for slides to this
list.

My personal favorite in the funky-foldy catagory is "Handmade Books and
Cards" by Jean Kropper (sp?). "Headbands and How to Work Them" gets my vote
for being easiest to follow and getting you up to speed quickly on the
techniques.

Roberta

Pendleton, Oregon
paper@oregontrail.net