Re: manuals

Further to Peter and Richard's remarks, Philip Smith's _New Directions
in Bookbinding_ and Kerstin Tini Miura's, _My World of Bibliophile Binding_
have good technical introductions to what are essentially celebrations of
their respective styles of decoration.

Also, Eric Burdett's, _The Craft of Bookbinding: A Practical Handbook_ is
well worth a read.

Smith and Burdett discuss English-style binding; Miura's technique is
essentially German, as taught by Hugo Peller in Switzerland.

For Japanese-style binding, there is, Kojiro Ikegami's, _Japanese
Bookbinding_ adapted/translated by Barbara B. Stephan.  I had the
pleasure of meeting Ms. Stephan a few years ago and was very impressed
by her competence.

Jack

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, OR  97217

503/735-3942  (voice/fax)

http://www.teleport.com/~tcl

"The lyfe so short; the craft so long to lerne"
Chaucer, Parlement of Foules, 1386