Re: Asian bindings

Amy
    I have two books about the history of Chinese books. Both are hard to find
but here they are. From my research, it seems that China was first in
developing the forms, but they were refined by the Japanese. Years ago I went
to the Yenching Oriental Library and met the curator of the rare book section
a few times. He was Chinese. I talked about Japanese binding the first time I
met him and after thought he might be insulted. I told him the second time
that while I referred to Japanese binding, I knew that the Chinese originated
the forms. He said something to the effect that the Japanese did a wonderful
job in developing and enhancing the forms.

The Story of Chinese Books, Lui Guojun and Zheng Rusi, Beijing, Foreign
Languages Press, 1985
History of Chinese books from oracle bones through slats, scrolls, and
accordions to sewn bindings with information on block printing and movable
type. A good resource but hard to find. Printed in the People's
Republic of China.

Chinese Traditional Bookbinding: A Study of Its Evolution and Techniques,
Edward Martinique, Chinese Materials Center, 1983 A history of Chinese books
from slats to scrolls to accordions to sewn bindings. Interesting
illustrations. A good resource but hard to find.

in good spirit
Susan

--
Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord