Re: manuals

--part1_a5.12448a39.27d11f5d_boundary

Almost all of the manuals mentioned (and I'm surprised that Edith Diehl
hasn't been tossed into the mix) serve as good basic how-to's for European
binding, ignoring almost everything any of them say about conservation or
"restoration". I don't think that anyone has bettered Cockerell overall. But
none of them do well at the much more crucial task of teaching one how to
really think about the work, which can never come too early in learning.
For that: Szirmai, THE ARCHAEOLOGY OF MEDIEVAL BOOKBINDING and absolutely
anything ever written by Chris Clarkson (articles but no published book to
date). Best
James

--part1_a5.12448a39.27d11f5d_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Almost all of the manuals mentioned (and I'm surprised that Edith Diehl
<BR>hasn't been tossed into the mix) serve as good basic how-to's for European
<BR>binding, ignoring almost everything any of them say about conservation or
<BR>"restoration". I don't think that anyone has bettered Cockerell overall. But
<BR>none of them do well at the much more crucial task of teaching one how to
<BR>really think about the work, which can never come too early in learning.
<BR>For that: Szirmai, THE ARCHAEOLOGY OF MEDIEVAL BOOKBINDING and absolutely
<BR>anything ever written by Chris Clarkson (articles but no published book to
<BR>date). Best
<BR>James
<BR>
<BR></FONT></HTML>