Re: Terrorist Manuals

Thanks, James, for the references. I'll read them. The Analytical &
Cosmological Approach sounds great! If this discussion has no other
result than to bring up these titles, it's a success. Though I'd also
like to hear other artists' comments on what's conceptually behind their
visual explorations.

It wasn't the cutting criticism (which I think Paul does very well) that
I was referring to as terrorism,  it was his personal attack last August
in the "Old Vellum" thread. It had all the venom, juvenile lashing out,
etc. that I associate with terrorism, and as I recall Peter put Paul on
probation over it.

I don't claim that my interpretation is correct, scholarly, or expert,
nor do I claim to be an authority or a professional. I'm an artist, and
the interpretation I give to things is based on a feeling I get from
what I see. I trust my feelings, and they are the basis of my work. When
I wrote down the background of the Islamic design variant I created for
these works it was not intended to be a historically accurate account of
the meaning of the interlaced design paradigm. Just a bit about the
creative process behind the work. It is not a criticism of Islamic
culture. Terrorism exists in all cultures. In the USA we live in a
culture where domestic terrorism and violence is one of the severest
social problems. And it may all have at its root a sense that all the
patterns are fixed, there is no way out, something violent has to break
the mold; or that individuals hold such fragile constructs of reality
together and live on the border of insanity, that they would beat or
kill even the person that gives them the most love, rather than have
their world-view threatened. The design work represents a notion of how
visual spaces may relate to other mental processes.

--
 Richard
 http://minsky.com

========
James Tapley wrote:

Sorry for the misfire. For perhaps a fuller understanding of Islamic
binding
and the decorative schemes employed:
ISLAMIC BINDING AND BOOKMAKING, The Oriental Institute Museum, 1981
TURKISH BOOKBINDING IN THE 15TH CENTURY, Azimuth Editions, 1993
both of which, happily, translate Islamic binding "manuals" of the 15th
century.
For perhaps a fuller understanding of the meanings and implications of
these
decorative schemes to the societies which produced/produce them:
ISLAMIC PATTERNS, AN ANALYTICAL AND COSMOLOGICAL APPROACH, Schocken
Books,
1976.
Lastly, I really don't understand how even the most cutting written
criticism
as occasionally practiced on this list can even remotely be termed
"terrorism". I am perhaps missing the subtext. Best
James